Monday, December 6, 2010

Whispers

Yesterday morning I woke up to "Bekah...Bekah", I opened my eyes, "it snowed last night!" My response, "no it didn't Sam".  Sam- "Yes it did. Look outside." I rolled out of bed as Sam came into my room. I opened my blind, and sure enough, the ground was dusted with snow. Sam- "See, I told you. Alright, I gotta go to my CPR class". This whole conversation, was done through whispering. You could tell the excitement in his voice. Like he just couldn't wait to tell someone.

So he woke me up just to tell me. Then memories flashed through my head. The times that we would listen to those superstitions about wearing your pj's inside-out. The whole time crossing our fingers that school would be cancelled. Sam, Seth & I all piling into one bed and sleeping sideways so all 3 of us would fit, on Christmas eve, and non-stop talking until we passed out. Just to wake up at 6:30 and know that we still had to wait for Mom & Dad to get up.

Or even farther back, when we were at the old house on Hickory Mill Rd. Oh how I loved that place! When we had nothing but each other, our cousins, our FAMILY! On Christmas morning, Matt or Dan, would sneak downstairs and take a peak around. Then come up and talk about the presents they saw. Sometimes even giving hints when the presents were too big to be wrapped. I will never forget the morning that Dan went down and came back up, his eyes as big as could be and said "Bekah, you are going to LOVE it!" He sat down on the floor and started "air pedaling". Instantly I knew I had gotten a bike. I remember jumping up and giving him a big hug, as if he had gotten me the present. Or the Christmas I got the big dollhouse. I was so upset when Sam started playing with it before me! I can laugh at it now. Then there was the Christmas that I got the leash and dog bowl. I remember ALL the excitement from every one of us! We sat there in the living room floor, building legos and thinking of what names we would pick for the dog. Never knowing that we would get Frosty. He was a pain, but very much a part of our lives that we will never forget. That dog was loyal and a little snappy, but he was a part of our family.

As we get older, the tables turn. We could care less about what we get. We even say we don't want anything and can literally mean it. Just spending that time with family is the best. Talking about those old days and sharing those memories, makes my heart all warm and fuzzy. It's irritating to me that people make it about worldly possesions. You can't take it with you! If thats all your life has mound up to, it's going to be lonely. So just to set it straight, its CHRISTmas, not x-mas. Don't take the reason out of the season! He gave us all another chance at life. Whenever you want it, just ask for forgiveness. He is why we are all here! Just a thought. Until next time...

LoVe <3

1 comment:

  1. Oh my Bekah. You just made me cry. I am so, so very glad to have read your blog today. I am even happier to know you understand and accept the true meaning of Christmas! And. . . that you are sharing it.

    I miss those days of Family time as well. Very much.

    I love you.

    ReplyDelete