Thursday, October 7, 2010

Miss Robotica

"Oh how I love my job. Oh how I need my job." (rub ears & repeat) This was the calming method I used today at work. I hate how I can have such a good morning and it instantly gets shattered when I walk into work. I barely got a chance to get punched in when I got a complete, slurred, unsure and almost in-audible rundown for the day up to that point. It was at this time that I decided it would be best to just nod my head, half smile and pretend like I heard & understood everything that I was just told. When in reality my mind was flipped upside down and twisted. I figured if it was really important my manager would tell me.

Shortly after, meaning approximately 30 minutes, I punched in I noticed a nice, heaping red cart full of boxes. This cart was not at my desk when I clocked in. Then the same associate that couldn't clearly tell me what had happened all morning came over and said "John dropped this off & ran". I just shrugged it off and went to face "The Cart".

Let me explain this wonderful cart full of boxes. Remember those 99 boxes I mentioned the other day? Well these boxes are just as bad, maybe worse. They vary in sizes and on the outside of the boxes in big, bold green letters reads "Hillman". Inside these boxes are bags filled with smaller bags, boxes filled with smaller boxes. If you have ever been to Lowe's or any hardware store, you know they are going to have one thing....nuts, screws, bolts. All of those little bags of screws, the individual screws, the keys, key accessories, mailbox numbers, yard signs, nuts and bolts are what "Hillman" is. Lots & lots & lots of tiny pieces. The only good thing about putting Hillman away is that it is time consuming and with the store being so slow, it was actually great. It took 3 1/2 hours of my shift for me to get it all put away.

Once I accomplished this task, I walked around and helped what little bit of customers we had in the store. Shortly after I headed to lunch at 6. The whole plan that was discussed with me before I went to lunch went as follows:
* When I got back from lunch I was to help my manager finish hanging the posters that we had started yesterday.
So that was fine with me. I had no problem with that. When I got back from lunch, my manager, Scott, was still on lunch so I decided to be proactive and start removing the other papers that had to come down in order for us to hang the new posters. While I was doing this in the breakroom, one of our regular thieves came in & went to the family bathroom. I instantly called my guys in Tools to give them a heads up. This person has stolen thousands from us and knows he cant get away with it when I am there. I am on him like white on rice.

He finally leaves the family bathroom and goes into the mens bathroom. Ummm.....I'm confused. Didn't you just take care of what you needed to? Turns out he got scared. He went out to his car, sat in his SUV for about 10 minutes, then drove to the end of the parking lot. At this time I realized that he might be waiting for someone else to show up. So I started to walk out into the parking lot. I made it approximately 5 steps, keep in mind I would have needed about 75, and he drove away. Woohoo!! He went home empty-handed. Didn't even get a chance to look at product.

At this time it is now 9pm. The store closes in an hour. Scott pages for me overhead. He tells me about the current situation. It was at this point that I wished I wasn't a dependable person. I had so much dumped on my plate. I had to go down and spot lumber to bring in product from outside. Then I found out the truck wasn't even done being unloaded yet!! The truck is normally done and the pallets are already taken out to the floor by 9:30! So I head down to spot lumber.....Scott pages me again. He asks me to go unload the truck instead. So I find someone to spot lumber and head back to help finish the truck. I get back there and take 2 pallets out to the floor and help them move a couple big shelving units onto carts. I take the blue carts with product out to the floor and I'm on my way back to receiving to finish the truck....Scott pages me AGAIN.
He wants me to stop what I am doing and finish hanging the posters. Holy mackerel!!! I am only one person!

So I stop what I was doing and go to hang the posters. I get the posters hung, without any interruptions. They looked good. At this time it is 10:10. Scott pages me. Ok, seriously?? He then tells me I can go home, thanks me for everything and tells me that he couldn't have gotten in done without me. It was at that point that I was in shock. He is the only manager that will go out of his way to actually say "Thank You". Yea, it might just be 2 small words, but to some people it means a lot. I have the ut-most respect for him. Yea he ran me like a machine tonight. But at least he knows he can count on me. My parents always told me that a job half-done, is a job not done.

So all-in-all, it was a CRAZY night. But thankfully I have the next 2 days off!! Can't wait for Thurmont! I feel so wide awake right now, but I know as soon as I lay down I will be out like a light. I think I have emptied my brain for now. Until tomorrow....Good night.

LoVe <3

1 comment:

  1. A hard worker never goes unnoticed...they may not always be told "thank you" or "great job" but with that said you should always strive to be your best. I am very proud of you Bekah. Keep it up. Love you bushels :)

    ReplyDelete